11+ Top Tips
28th October, 2021
11+ Top Tips for the day!
- Pack your (see-through) pencil-case the night before – have plenty of sharpened pencils and a rubber.
- Relax and have an early night before the test – no last-minute studying!
- Have a good breakfast on the morning of the test.
LISTEN AND FOCUS
- Listen very carefully to instructions you are given about the test paper, time given etc.
- Read the written instructions carefully.
Arrange the question paper on one side and the answer sheet on the other.
- Don’t stop working – don’t daydream or watch other candidates.
- Answer the questions you find the easiest first, or which carry the most marks.
- Keep an eye on the time as you work through.
- Check all answers at the end of the section if you have time. Go back to unanswered questions.
USE QUESTION PAPER
- READ the question, ANSWER the question, CHECK your answer.
- Jot down numbers etc as you go along.
- Don’t try to keep it all in your head. It will slow you down.
- Use ELIMINATION – narrow down the options.
- Write out words to check spellings.
- Mark questions to return to – don’t spend time fretting on difficult ones, GUESS and move on. Return if you have time.
USE ANSWER SHEET
- Mark ALL your answers on the answer sheet – it is the answer sheet that is marked!
- NO blanks – zero chance of getting a mark if you leave it blank. A guess has more chance than a blank!
- FILL in the answer sheet NEATLY. Keep inside the boxes and no other marks (and no doodles!).
- RUB OUT incorrect answers carefully – have only one answer visible.
- Stay calm.
- Just do your best!
Like this? Read more below…
My name is Nicola Bhalerao and I am a private tutor based in Warwick. Since 2013, I have provided one-to-one tuition for children and adults. I specialise in maths tutoring, but cater for different requests, ranging from 11+ to various computing skills, including website training.
My background is in computing, with a Computer Science degree from Warwick University. I have worked many years as a programmer, latterly in the games industry. Both my sons were tutored by me for the 11+ (they went to a local grammar school). I received training for teaching secondary school maths and I am fully CRB checked.
I am a WordPress expert, having spent many years creating numerous websites with my other business, Smiling Panda Web Design. Although I no longer actively work on websites for others, I offer help with understanding / updating / creating your own WordPress website.